WriteBash - Use
whatis to display a brief description of the commands. This article will help you know whatis command.
What is the whatis command used for?
It displays the name and a line described in the man page of the command to view.
Use whatis command
The structure of
whatis commands is extremely simple.
danie@linuxmint ~ $ whatis [command]
We will see some examples below.
Recommended Reading: Display man page with man command
Tips: Most man pages are often difficult to read, it is almost a reference document, not a tutorials. So
whatis command as a way to understand the meaning of the command faster and easier.
Recommended Reading: Display appropriate commands with apropos command
It is not easy to grasp the meaning of all commands in Linux.
For the commands you use often to work, that’s not really difficult. But what about the commands that you occasionally use?
whatis commands will have its effect.
If you appreciate what we share in this blog, you can support us by:
- Stay connected to: Facebook | Twitter | Google Plus | YouTube
- Subscribe email to recieve new posts from us: Sign up now.
- Start your own blog with SSD VPS - Free Let's Encrypt SSL ($2.5/month).
- Become a Supporter - Make a contribution via PayPal.
- Support us by purchasing Ribbon Lite Child theme being using on this website.
We are thankful for your support.